The first library in Wautoma was organized in 1934. It was housed in the basement of a local movie theatre, and was organized as a lending library. The library was moved in 1935 to a room above the old Fire Station at 401 West Main St. It remained there until 1978 when a new fire station/library was built at its current location, 410 West Main Street. Eventually, the fire station relocated. In 2009, the library finished a major remodeling project that increased its floor space to include where the fire station use to be. Campaigns and fundraisers such as the commemorative brick program and the Taste of Wautoma continue to pay for the remodeling.
Today, the Wautoma Public Library houses well over 25,700 items. The collection includes books, movies, magazines, newspapers, music, audio books, and digital databases and collections. Free Internet access is available along with public computers. Community enriching programs and events are held at the library, and its meeting room is available for public reservation (a small fee may apply, see meeting room policy). Adjacent to the library is a small park, complete with park benches and a small playground. A public fishing pier is close by.